Care, foot care, an essential asset for aging well and maintain their independence
The foot of the elderly has this year particularly interested health professionals, the majority of podiatrists, gathered for the 37th Podiatry interviews that were held at the Palais des Congrès de La Villette on 19 and 20 October.
The importance of the feet and posture in health are now consensus. Diagnosis and treatment of various diseases involving different disciplines. To train and learn, hundreds of health professionals have thus followed a series of conferences taking stock assessment protocols and treatment of the elderly.
Beyond 75 years, less than 30% of people living at home can wash, put cream or cut toenails alone. Or the elderly patient has an increased risk of skin damage and functional disability when suffering from pain in the foot.
For the Haute Autorité de Santé, the orientation of the elderly to a podiatrist is recommended:
- In case of trophic or static foot related to a neurological or vascular followed medically
- In case of podiatric condition associated with gait or fall antecedents whose medical care was provided
- If the indication of a podiatric orthosis is placed
- In case of inability of the patient to self-insure routine care of the foot such as cutting nails
- For a reduction in hyperkeratosis.
The patient education, techniques and pédicurales orthotics, footwear boards play an essential role in the maintenance or improvement of functional capacity. This information is primarily delivered by the Chiropodist which now plays an important role in the multidisciplinary team responsible for pathologies associated with aging.