Replies

• Rascal, I read the preview of your book on Amazon, and I must say I like how you explain stuff with clarity and coherence.
    • Well, THANK you, Lilac!  That's my one non-fiction offering to the world so far.  Right now I'm up to my eyeballs in a sprawling SF-Fantasy saga that's gonna be a WILD RIDE :-)

• Pat!

No fair holding out on us! 

You've got enough of that info to share with the rest of the class? ;O)

Just the name of the book you've got on Amazon is fine. Or, if you could better profit via a particular link, share that! Buying into the starving artist myth is simply not an option at a place called The Enchanted Factory!

Hahaha! :D

CONGRATS on the unnamed but published non-fiction book, & BIG APPLAUSE for the SF-Fantasy you're having fun with, now!

WAY TO GO, PAT! :D

Sunshine & Blessings,
      Giovani

• I like this list, it translates easily to the writing craft.

I find my main self-sabotage is that I'm my own worst critic -- I often think this line or that paragraph or this page could and/or should be "better".  I should pay particular attention to #10 above, regarding "perfection" . . . :-)

• Hey Elaine!

Welcome, & I feel for you! :P

Glitches can really suck. Here's a suggestion: Go to anotepad.com or use a notebook/txt file to write your posts and cut/paste them onto PI's HTML Editor. That way, if it vanishes, you've still got a back-up copy. This can get to be a bit much, but when I notice the computer glitching out, I quickly open up the anotepad page.

(I can't use a txt program in my computer, right now. You know how Microsoft is charging ridiculous fees for what used to be free. It's the result of an anti-monopoly ruling, if I understand correctly. Didn't really work out the way most thought it would. But, then again, there are programs in the cloud such as anotepad - so I'm not complaining.)

:O)

Looking forward to your posts, Elaine!

Sunshine & Blessings,
    Giovani

• I am new to PI and just joined this discussion.  I will be back to share some thoughts.  I just wanted to introduce myself for the moment.  (I am having some computer glitches as I have written 4 posts here in a row, only to have each one deleted. )

Love and Light,

Elaine Enlightening

"Light is unlimited...and spreads across the world in quiet joy.."

• Oh, I love metaphysical fiction, though I admit I haven't read any of Bach's books. I have some them in my to-be-read pile. I think I got them after reading Richard Matheson's "Somewhere in Time" and "What Dreams May Come". I try to read from different genres so I'll know which one(s) to write in.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about Bach. I started reading Seagull a while ago, and I'm enjoying it so far. Will report when I'm finished. LOL.

What are you working on now?
  • Hey Lilac!

Thanks for your interest! :O)

Wow! Your background is in non-fiction? Traditionally, that's where publication is so much LESS of a hassle! (I can recommend books, but they're from the pre-Web 2.0 era. Solid info, but lots of translating for the new technology'd be required.)

If you can do some non-fiction in the same arena as your fiction, that could be an excellent way to open doors. You're in an interesting position, Lilac. You've got my good wishes! :D

Adults? Ah, you've only read SOME of my blog posts, then! 

Hahaha! ;O)

Oh, I certainly write for adults. However, I generally write for the little kid in us all. It's just that adults are in the position to get me on several levels! Kids feel the mystery, though, so they're marvelous.

Genres?

You know, I don't read as much fiction as some might expect. I read a good bit about marketing, psychology, writing technique (including song-writing and humor), metaphysics, art history, natural sciences, math - and I've always got my nose in some reference book (despite the power of the Internet).

I do like reading metaphysical fiction such as Richard Bach's stuff (JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGUL and ONE) and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (THE LITTLE PRINCE).

I might reread the Winnie-The-Pooh books, soon (I'm hunting down a certain quote). I love Pippi Longstockings, though I've only been reading it in very satisfying little bites over the years.

I am really into folklore - especially children's folklore. I make use of it in a good bit of my writing. And I read a good amount of poetry, though I'm picky in everything I read.

Oh, one thing I mustn't forget is science fiction!

I love Philip K. Dick (unfortunate name, but the hazard in praising him is worth the read). His question is: How do we know WE are real. So, I call his style of science fiction Identity. I mostly read him as Identity fiction, but watch most movies that deal with this: Blade Runner (Based on Dick's DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP); Vanilla Sky; Synechdoche, New York; Inception; Sucker Punch - Oh, and cable TV shows like the newer Battlestar Galactica and Caprica.

That pretty much covers it! :O)

Sunshine & Blessings,
    Giovani

• Thanks for the reply, Giovani.

I agree with you about being alive at a party. Why bother going to the party if you won't join in the party spirit, right?
    Anyways, I read some of your blog posts. Do you write fiction for adults? And what genre/s do you like to read?

My background is in writing non-fiction, and I'm just now transitioning to fiction.
  • Lilac!

Awww!

I was about to congratulate you on sharing your work in one of the discussions! I do complement you on, at least, posting, here. 

How do you expect to be discovered by whoever will bring you money, however, if an opportunity comes to demonstrate your energy and unhampered writing power and a timid question is all you put forth?

I'll share an observation I have made of the inactive writers groups on PI. Their inactivity is a reflection of the timidity of their writers. The point of this group is to release this sleeping giant, which too many have presumed unacceptable.

Too much politeness will NOT get you published or produced or "hung" or whatever, Lilac.

What will?

Being alive at a party, basically!

THERE! I've said it! I've just said what nobody seems willing to say. 

This group is my miraculous use of our miraculous artistic power to fold a celebration-type party into the World Wide Web! If you were an art gallery owner or a publisher or a movie studio executive, which would turn YOUR head? A writers group where everyone is asking polite questions about where to place a comma or one in which artists were vomiting rainbows and lava onto the virtual canvas?

It ain't necessarily pretty, but it is the clue that life is happening, here!

Ah, but I'm not really scolding you. Who am I to do that?

You are doing great, Lilac!

We all are!

I just want y'all to remember to refill your champagne glasses! There's plenty to go around!! :D

Sunshine & Blessings,
    Giovani

PS: A related tip that sounds so simple it's hard to believe is this: Wherever possible, physically visit the scene of the crime (the gallery, the publishing house, the movie studio, or a place where the bosses are giving a talk). Why? Because everybody's an expendable number on paper or via email. But a flesh-and-blood presence is much harder to run past. Plus, a real person in one's office is often a pleasant diversion. Say, "I was reading blah-blah-blah, which said some strange things about the direction of our craft. I'm putting together an article for my private files and would like your expertise on what direction you think we're going. Could you find fifteen minutes - say - this Wednesday at ten?" 

You then visit, mostly listen and ask questions based on what THEY say. Avoid "selling" yourself or your work. The fact that you're taking their expertise seriously is the selling job. And learning what THEY think is the direction the craft is going in is GOLDEN, Lilac.

As the talk draws toward fifteen minutes, ask them if you can call them with a question or two if any of this seems unclear when you get home. Go home, have simple THANK YOU CARDS. What seems like a good idea to me is to pull a meaningful little quote from one of your works (if you're a writer. Where you'd usually put your name, write something like "~ From my family musical THE BLACKBERRY KIDS GO TREASURE HUNTING") and to hand-print it on the opening side of the card (or you can quote something THEY said during the interview) and a simple message on the surface beside it. Maybe, "Thanks for your expertise. It was really eye-opening! Yours truly, etc."

Now, you've got some idea what this person is looking for and is interested in. Send this person an article that relates to that. Quote someone else's similar interest and ask if the person you interviewed would be curious about something to that effect (Your work, of course).

Schedule several such visits and stay in touch with your contacts.

Or...party hardy in ways that allow you to share your creativity! ;O)

~ G

This reply was deleted.